Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

17 February, 2009

A Letter to Laura (part one)

She was standing in the courtyard, beside the lamp post which towers like cedars in the forest. Snow falling gently and has accumulated on some parts of the yard making dots of white and gray. She was just standing there, seemingly waiting for someone. She wears a white dress that perfectly fits her, like an angel. She creates a picture of hope in the cold place where snow falls, flames of the lamp post dances as the wind blows while the shadows jump from one place to another. Her eyes brighten as she sees the glow of the headlight of a coming car as it winds up a distant curb. She definitely was expecting someone. Her face reddened as she enthusiastically waits for the car to pull over the roadside near the courtyard. The car passed and was gone as quickly as it had appeared. It did not stop. She slowly sobs then the sobbing broke into silent weeping. She made a wrong decision. And now she’s alone. Then she suddenly heard footsteps behind her, the shoes crashed the snow under it. She paused and listened as the footsteps approaches. Her heart is beating faster that she hears every throb of it. When finally got the courage, she turned back just as she was a meter away from the footsteps. She stood blankly for a while as she tries to make up the face of the person standing just a few inches away from her. Finally she smiled as she recognizes the man.

“I was so afraid because I thought you have forgotten me, Edward!” she exclaimed, hugging the man tightly.

“I could never do that to you Laura. You knew how much you mean to me, right? I’m here now, don’t be afraid.” he says as he warmly hugs Laura.

“I want you to follow me.” Edward said.
“Where?”
“Just please trust me.” He said pulling Laura’s arms. They run along the highway beneath the tall trees, snow falling while the moon slightly lighting their path. She was panting when they arrived at a place while he stares at her as if the run have not affected his circulatory system. He was not grasping for breath. He was just standing and with a serious look on his face.

“Are you okay?” he said.
“I’ll be fine in just a few minutes.” she replied still grasping for breath.
“Do you love me, Laura?”
“Of course I do! Why are you asking me that question?”
“Do you love me?” he repeated.
“Yes, I do!, What’s the matter Edward?”
“I have to show you something.” he said in monotony.
“What is it? Is there something wrong?”
“Follow me.”

They starting walking in an even pace. Edward ahead of her pulling her arms gently as he lead the way. She suddenly felt a sudden chill. Edward’s arms felt so cold like a steel.

“You’re freezing!” she said.
“No, I’m fine.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes.”

Then there was silence. They are probably in a meadow where they used to have time together. The grass was trimmed and covered with snow. Her feet was cold and wet. She was wondering and trying to picture where she is when they suddenly stopped. They were in front of a small house that looked more like a mausoleum than a barn. Inside, a light dimly glows which probably came from a single candle. The place smells like lavender and rose together which is quite strong as the damp air holds it. They were the only souls in the middle of the night and the only sound that she could hear is the beating of her heart. She clasp her hands and put them together close to her body as the gentle breeze blows. She was cold. And the look of the place makes the situation even colder. Then he asked her again:

“Do you really love me, Laura?”
“Yes, I do love you. Why? You’re making me nervous. What’s the matter, Edward?”
“Do you trust me?” he asked, not answering her questions.
“Yes, I do. I wouldn’t have come this far if I don’t trust you!”
“Okay, please do remember that I love you so much, okay?
“Okay.”

Then he grabbed her by the hand and led her into the house. He worked on the knob and the door opened noisily. Streaks of candlelight greeted her eyes as she tries to visualized the place. In front of her was a single burning candle and beside it was a folded piece of paper that has been yellowed by time. She moved forward and got the letter. One side of the letter was scribbled with ink and it says:

To Laura

Who could have left a letter for me here in this place? She inquired to herself.
The letter was still sealed when she opened it. She started reading:

Dearest Laura...





To be continued....

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails